Musical Analysis #1

 Musical Analysis: "Fast Car" - Luke Combs 

This song is a rendition of the original song released by Tracy Chapman in 1988. Not only is this song one of my favorites it is an amazing throwback to a beautiful song that could've been lost in the digital landfill of music at everyone’s fingertips today. 






The powerful melody not only got Tracy Chapman widespread recognition but Luke Combs as well. This song won the CMA award for song of the year, and single of the year. It is no surprise he decided to sing this song as his manager stated Tracy Chapman was one of Luke's favorite artists. 

I absolutely love songs that tell a story. Especially one that is so raw and true to life, and poetic. This is a song that each person takes something different away from. whether that's the objective story being told, the desire for something better, leaving a poor situation, or remembering an extremely vivid and cherished memory. 

I think this song truly shows the extreme quality and league-of-his-own that Luke Combs is in, to take somebody else's song, and create enough originality in it to make it feel like a completely different song, while remaining essentially the exact same, really shows the talent he possesses. Heavy emphasis on certain words and phrases, as well as trailing off on others, paints the exact picture of what you'd expect. Someone knowing they want something different, but with no remote idea where to start, or what to do, just doing anything they can to try to get there. To be able to create so much emotion and great aspiration for something better, without even knowing exactly what that entails is not an easy feat to achieve. 


Sources: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_Car 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fast+car+luke+combs

https://open.spotify.com/track/1Lo0QY9cvc8sUB2vnIOxDT

Comments

  1. The song was a really great choice. I think you did a great job with your musical analysis. This song is very poetic and I really enjoyed the live version on youtube. I do think Luke Combs does great on this song by utilizing it and changing it to fit his persona and I think he did a great job. I also like that it did add to fame on the song because Luke Combs is covering the song and he is very famous in the Country Music Industry. I do love the songs that tell a story too and I do think this song was a great story to enjoy and if you don’t pay attention to the lyrics it does have a great beat and rhythm to it that’s easy to follow. Great job on your post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome choice of song! This is my first time hearing the Luke Combs version, he is also one of my favorite artists. I like the way Luke sings this, but Fast Car by Tracy Chapman has always been one of my favorite ever songs, so it's kind of hard to adjust to a different version. When singing this song, it bring me back to a moment that wasn't really important or exciting to me except I was driving alone in the dark singing this with my highest best singing voice *my voice isn't great* But good music does that! Good work on your musical analysis. You may need to add three musical elements, which reminds me I should double-check mine as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Luke Combs' talent in making the song his own while staying true to its essence displays such wondrous self expression and power as an artist. The themes in the song speaks differently to each listener I’m sure due to each listener having their own experience however that may be. Really good song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I have been Tracy Chapman fans for years and really appreciate that she's receiving so much more fame and recognition due to Luke Combs bringing Fast Car to a brand new audience. I also thought it was such a show of respect that he didn't alter the lyrics when he could have easily changed 'checkout girl' to 'checkout boy/guy'. You could absolutely see the admiration in his eyes during their performance at the Grammys. Great choice!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1

Innovations and Evolutions- The Microphone