Musical Analysis #2

Musical analysis #2

In Color-Jamey Johnson

In Color Jamey Johnson

 "In Color" By Jamey Johnson was released in 2008. Once again, a song depicting a story, my favorite type of song! The song is a story about a grandfather telling stories to his grandson about his life and experiences. He does this by showing photographs from major events in his life. Such as his time in the Second World War and his wedding day. When listening to the song, it brings me back to conversations Iva had with my grandfather, it's slow, with methodical and purposeful words, seeing the gears turn in his head as he remembers more details. 

Tempo: 

The songs run time is 4 minutes 51 seconds at 130 beats per minute. Although the beats per minute are fairly average for a country song, when you listen to it, it feels a lot slower with drawn out words and trailing off thoughts. 

Lyrics: 

"Oh, and this one here's taken overseasIn the middle of hell in 1943 in the winter timeYou can almost see my breathThat was my tail gunner ol' Johnny MageeHe was a high school teacher from New OrleansAnd he had my back right through the day we left"

The lyrics are what make this song so powerful in my opinion. The depth of the situation and emotion illustrated is quite beautiful.

Instruments: 

From what I could find the only instruments used in the song are a piano and a guitar. Simple but quite effective. I think this was done in order to not overpower the lyrics being sang and to add a more spiritual tone and maintain rawness and clarity.

Chords: 

After looking up the chords it's stated as a beginner song to play, with mainly G,F and C being used. As well as a few D and Em chords as well. Simple yet perfect for the song in discussion in my opinion. 

Singing/Vocals: 

The song was originally released in B major. Jamey Johnson was actually nominated for Best Male Country Vocal Performance. Which essentiality tells you everything you need to know about the vocals he gave for this song. 


Sources: 

“BPM and Key for in Color by Jamey Johnson: Tempo for in Color.” SongBPM, songbpm.com/@jamey-johnson/in-color. Accessed 28 Feb. 2024. https://songbpm.com/@jamey-johnson/in-color

Musixmatch - Song Lyrics and Translations. www.musixmatch.com/lyrics/Jamey-Johnson/In-Color.

E-Chords.com. “In Color Chords by Jamey Johnson.” E, www.e-chords.com/chords/jamey-johnson/in-color. Accessed 28 Feb. 2024.

“In Color (Song).” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 26 Nov. 2023, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Color_%28song%29.






Comments

  1. I usually am not for most country songs, but I found myself enjoying this song! I do believe there is a drum set keeping the beat of the song. I also like Jamey Johnsons vocals, being smooth while still forcing emotion and attention to his lyrics by raising and lowering his pitch. Overall I think the lyrics of the song are the main focal point and really define this piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1

Musical Analysis #1

Innovations and Evolutions- The Microphone