Final Project: Music Brings us Together

 Music Brings us Together! 

Humans need music! It can lift your spirits, help you get through hard times, or simply to fill in background noise. But it has the ability to bring people from all walks of life together. At least in my life, I hear a song that reminds me of a friend, family member or a good memory on some crazy adventure. But it doesn't necessarily have to be a happy unification.  I find that people listen to music to elicit a specific emotion. Sad songs can draw the desire to call your grandma for instance.  We will look at two songs, one that shares a message of unity, and patriotism. The other, happiness and serendipity.  

The Star-Spangled Banner

The Star-Spangled Banner lyrics were written in 1814 By Francis Scott Key, and the music by John Stafford Smith in 1773. The song is traditionally in a key of B flat major and 92 beats per minute. 


  This song has an extremely patriotic feel, and of course is the National Anthem for America. The song has a beautiful and vivid depiction of war, and after the dust settles, seeing our flag still waving. It really makes you reflect on how many soldiers have been lost in the defense of our nation and appreciate their ultimate sacrifice. 


There is no other song in the country where thousands of people will stand up in a stadium and stand together as one. It really makes you reflect on how many soldiers have been lost in the defense of our nation and appreciate their ultimate sacrifice. 

What A Wonderful World

    This song was written by Bob Thiele and George Weiss and sang by Louis Armstrong in 1967. It flows at 108 beats per minute in F major.  The song hit number 1 in the UK and nominated into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1999.  It did not perform as well in the united states as the record label president was not a fan of the song. But after being featured in a popular movie, it was rereleased and reached the top of the charts. 

    When I hear this song I want to walk through a garden with the love of my life. It makes me want to give back to the world more than I do, and do some more acts of kindness for people. For the 2 minutes and 21 seconds it plays, its hard to be in a negative headspace. I truly do forget about some of the bad things happening in the world. 


These two songs although vastly different, still create a desire to be near people and appreciate those around you. The similarities come from their amazing ability to paint a picture in your head. They are not fast paced, nor have catchy lyrics necessarily. They tell a story, perhaps not directly relatable to everyones life, a story with an undeniably powerful message that reminds you of whats truly important in life. It can be easy to get lost in the minor things and forget about the simpler things in life. 


This class has certainly made me take a deeper dive into music and make me question why I actually like a song. Rather than just saying "oh this is catchy", I can actually take a more analytical approach to why I may like a song. It has really made me look at songs in a different light. Perhaps considering wether or not it would work for a blog post, or in my eyes because it gives you a deeper connection to the song. The more you know about something the more you can appreciate it! One of the main things is I actually learned about music, meter, tempo, and so on. These are things are essentially had zero knowledge on!


Sources: 

“BPM and Key for American National Anthem (USA - the Star-Spangled Banner) by Universal Band: Tempo for American National Anthem (USA - the Star-Spangled Banner).” SongBPM, songbpm.com/@universal-band/american-national-anthem-usa---the-star-spangled-banner. Accessed 28 Apr. 2024.

“BPM and Key for What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong: Tempo for What a Wonderful World.” SongBPM, songbpm.com/@louis-armstrong/what-a-wonderful-world. Accessed 28 Apr. 2024.

“Flag of the United States.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 22 Apr. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_the_United_States.

“Louis Armstrong - What a Wonderful World (Official Video).” YouTube, YouTube, 20 Aug. 2020, www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBrd_3VMC3c.

“Star Spangled Banner with Lyrics, Vocals, and Beautiful Photos.” YouTube, YouTube, 27 Sept. 2010, www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKp29Luryc.

“The Star-Spangled Banner.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 14 Apr. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star-Spangled_Banner.

“What a Wonderful World.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 29 Apr. 2024, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Wonderful_World.

“‘what a Wonderful World.’” What A Wonderful World | Songwriters Hall of Fame, www.songhall.org/awards/winner/what_a_wonderful_world. Accessed 28 Apr. 2024.


Comments

  1. Great choices to demonstrate your thesis! I may not often think of my place in the world as an American but the National Anthem never ceases to make me proud when I hear it. I love watching medal ceremonies during the Olympics in recognition of the athletes' accomplishments, no matter what country they represent. But when Americans win the gold and the anthem is played, it feels like such a moment of shared connection, which can difficult to feel right now.

    I actually can't listen to 'What a Wonderful World' because it makes me too emotional. Whether Louis Armstrong's or Iz Kamakawiwoʻole's version, I have to turn it off any time it comes on. It's not that I don't want music to move me but I also prefer not to be a total blubbering mess while enjoying it. =)

    I think this response only furthers your thesis that songs have the ability to evoke strong emotions and bring people together in a way that other forms of communication do not.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post 1

Musical Analysis #1

Innovations and Evolutions- The Microphone